Heaven and Apathy: Any Relation?
“It seems to me, rather, that belief in the afterlife and an
existence in the hereafter encourages apathy toward our life in the present,
the only life we know we are assured of enjoying.”
Nathan Dickey
I recently engaged in a Facebook theological argument with
the person quoted above. I have
found arguing with atheists on Facebook to be a fruitless and unsatisfying
endeavor. It usually just makes me uptight and anxious so I try to resist the
temptation of commenting. However the topic of heaven and the afterlife is one
of my buttons. My primary concern is not with what heaven is going to be like
but with how the idea of heaven plays out in my life today.
I have a Christian friend who is fond of saying that some
Christians are “so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good”. I object to
this notion. I will admit that it
appears to be true but in reality it is false. Apathy as I believe Mr. Dickey
means it, is when you stop caring about the problems of the world and set
yourself apart in a religious isolation. Why bother with the world’s problems
if it is all going to end soon anyway? That is what I believe people mean by
the apathy of the heavenly minded person. I argue the complete opposite. In a
sense it would be nice to wash one’s hands of the suffering, pain and evil of
the present world. But to shut your self off from the bad things of the world
is in a sense a desire to try and find comfort on earth. By this point one has
become earthly minded and no heavenly good. Apathy is a thing of this world and not the next.
What then does it look like to be heavenly minded? I reproduce two scriptures, which I
believe illustrate the point.
“ Do you not know
that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run
in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone
who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown
that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
26 Therefore I do not run like
someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.” 1 Corinthians 9: 24-26
“Therefore, since we are surrounded
by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders
and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the
race marked out for us, 2 fixing
our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.”
Hebrews 12: 1-3
In these two passages the
Christian’s life is compared to a race. Those whose belief in heaven has lead
them to apathy have simply stopped running. But the one who is really
concentrated on the prize will run the race. The Christian who desires heaven
can’t simply walk idly toward the finish line, they will give it all they have.
On the other hand you might say
that Christ has already won the race. Why run if you have already won? Christ
is the example of how to run, not the excuse for not doing it. Even when you
are assured victory you still have to cross the finish line. I think that
rabbit that got beat by the turtle is a good example. The first step toward the
finish is as important as the last. It does
matter how the race is run. Heaven is in each step of the way. Heaven is a goal
and a reality.
I will throw in a quote by C. S.
Lewis for good measure.
“If you read history you
will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were just
those who thought most of the next… It is since Christians have largely ceased
to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this. Aim
at Heaven and you will get earth ‘thrown in’: aim at earth and you will get
neither (p. 134).” Mere Christianity
To finish I would like to
quote the great Lutheran theologian Dietrich Bonheoffer to whom I give most of
the credit for my view on this matter.
“So long as Christ and the world are conceived as two
opposing and mutually repellent spheres, man will be left in the following
dilemma: he abandons reality as a whole, and places himself in one or the other
of the two spheres. He seeks Christ without the world, or he seeks the world
without Christ. In either case he is deceiving himself…There are not two
realities, but only one reality, and that is the reality of God, which has
become manifest in Christ in the reality of the world.” (p. 195) Ethics
Nice. I didn't realize that you were friends with Oliver Wendell Holmes, especially since he died in 1935.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I agree. And when I look at things from an eternal perspective it makes me more excited and it also makes me more eager to share my faith in this life, rather than apathetic.
Glad you threw C.S. Lewis AND Bonheoffer in there; you are definitely scoring extra points.
Oops, the above comment is mine, I just published it while I was logged into my other e-mail.
ReplyDeleteLook at that, I was already giving you points 2 years ago.
ReplyDelete