Wednesday, May 23, 2012

In defense of super evilness

I believe I have chosen my title poorly. What I mean to do here is to attempt a defense of super villains. I do not here condone or defend the actions of super villains real or imaginary. I simply believe that villains have been portrayed unfairly. I am unconvinced by the idea of a bad guy sitting in his evil lair laughing his evil laugh and rejoicing in how evil he is. I am going to put forth the idea that super villains don't actually consider themselves super villains (they can correct me if I am wrong). While people may adopt terms like "bad" or "evil" I do not think that they really mean this. Just like when people say that they are being bad or naughty when eat a chocolate bar. They simply embrace a word and change its meaning.
Now of course people come up with a million excuses to justify their actions and make themselves out to be not so bad. That is just the point. People can't bear the idea of actually being bad so they find excuses. Thus a super villain might joke about being evil but he can never actually believe it. If you cast all the excuses aside being bad or evil is an unbearable state to be in. Being bad implies being wrong and nobody can stand being wrong they must always give it another name.
 Often in literature and motion pictures we are presented with the psychopath as the most ultimately scary idea. For a psychopath is a person who has no regard for other people and will kill and hurt with no feeling. This is the type of person who is supposed to enjoy evil for evils sake. While I do find this idea frightening I do not think it the most scary idea.
I think that the Bible speaks rightly when it says that the devil disguises himself as an angel of light (I might go so far as to surmise that the devil actually fancies himself an angel of light.) But even just using this example metaphorically I think that evil more often than not comes to us in the guise of good. If you actually think a thing is wrong you won't do it. The thing must be twisted and turned before you will begin to consider. All that is needed is doubt of its badness and the rest is easy.  
The most frightening picture to me is the super villain who does not consider himself evil. This person might even call himself good. A individual capable of committing the unspeakable without remorse and it would not because he likes being evil but because he believes he is doing the right thing. Unlike the psychopath this person might even say they are pursuing the best for humanity.
If someone suspected they were bad you might be able to reason with them until they were convinced of their badness. But how do you talk to someone who thinks they are good and try to convince them otherwise? From my observations of when dictators and war criminals go on trial you do not see them standing before the court laughing and talking about how bad they are. I think that many criminal are willing to admit they were wrong simply because they got caught. That is why I write in defense of super evilness because a truly evil person would never think they were bad. The most frightening villain I can imagine thinks he is doing the right thing. I can easily condemn (or help for that matter) a person who thinks they are bad. It is hard to condemn (or help) a person who believes they are good.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is a great post; you hit the nail right on the head. As stated in The Last Battle by Lewis, "By mixing a little truth with it they had made their lie far stronger."
    I'm wanting to add made but you just did such a good job that I've got nothing.

    ReplyDelete