It is interesting to live in a country where it seems most people don't believe in democracy. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that I live in a country where people believe in democracy just as long as their side wins. Democracy is a system that by its very nature can disappoint approximately half its participants. The majority wins no matter how small the margin. I remember hearing a story about a tribal chief somewhere in the world who was puzzled by the idea of democracy. He wondered how you could have a system where 51% could tell the other 49% what to do. In his tribe they sat around the camp fire and talked until 100% where in agreement. I do not know if this story is true and strongly doubt if the system would work with a nation of millions but it does make an interesting point about democracy.
Outside of politics I hear people say things like "You can believe anything you want but don't try and force it on other people." This idea, while popular, is undemocratic. When faced with a choice a democracy will impose the will of the majority on the minority. It is just that simple. Which is why I am very puzzled when people say that the system is collapsing just because their values aren't represented. The beauty of democracy is that the individual's vote matters. The cruel reality is that there may be more individuals on the other side.
I would like to return to my earlier point about forcing values on others. There are those who speak as if a person should leave their personal values (religion and other world views) out of politics. I simply wonder what values one is supposed to bring to the table? Is there some sort of objective worldview that one should bring to the table? If you don't bring your values to the table I would suggest you have nothing at all to bring to the table. Democracy depends entirely on you having a view and voting accordingly. Another important thing is if you don't like imposing your view on others than democracy is not the political system for you. Likewise if you don't like having other people's view forced on you then democracy isn't for you either. That is why I say I live in a country that doesn't believe in democracy because most people fall into one of the two categories I just mentioned. Of course you don't have to agree with the majority, the beauty of democracy is that there should be the freedom to disagree. It can always change next time.
But this country is also a republic, I might address that another time.
Friday, May 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would argue that forcing a viewpoint on others and democratic decision making are two very different things. However, comment space does not allow for such a rebuttal. Perhaps I should start my own blog. I think there are many views that should be left out of voting/politics. I believe that pickles are wrong but I'm only forcing that viewpoint on others if I vote to outlaw pickles. I believe that abortion is (usually) wrong, but I'm only forcing that on others if I vote to make it illegal. See what I'm getting at?
ReplyDeleteI think in simple terms what I mean is that the minority will have to accept the choice of the majority. That is what I mean by a view being forced. Prohibition is the obvious imposition of a perspective. Legalization is also forcing something on those who view it as wrong. The effects are different for each party but the imposition is not.
ReplyDelete