Monday, July 2, 2012

Thoughts on Islam and the Koran



“We created man to try him with afflictions.” The Koran

I have had the Koran on my list of books to read for quite some time. Being rather ignorant about Islam I have never really felt the liberty to talk about it. How can I criticize something I know nothing about? I underlined constantly as I went through the book (is that allowed?). What follows are the things that stood out most to me as a protestant Christian. There are many more topics, which I am leaving out such as: idolatry, women in Islam, hell, paradise, Islamic law, the prophets, prayer etc.  You will forgive me if I don’t say “peace be upon him” when I mention the prophet (I didn’t see a commandment in the Koran that said I should.) For now here are three topics. I have taken the quotes that most stood out to me and added some commentary.

Salvation

“Righteousness does not consist in whether you face towards the east of the west. The righteous man is he who believes in Allah and the Last Day.”

This first quote is something I can agree with. True religion is not found in observing a certain ritual but in having faith.

“Allah will reward those that have faith and do good works…”

“Good deeds makes amends for sins.”

 In Islam, salvation is achieved by having faith in Allah and doing good works. While Christianity does advocate in favor of works, they are not a way to earn salvation. Works are a result of our faith, but Jesus is the one who makes amends for sins. Islam could argue the former but must reject the later statement. I would sum up the two perspectives by saying that in Islam one must try to earn Allah’s compassion and mercy while in Christianity you simply accept God’s grace.

“You cannot help a man if Allah seeks to mislead him.”

“He pardons whom He wills and punishes whom He pleases.”

The idea of election is very prevalent in the Koran. Christianity is very much divided on this point where Islam is much clearer. I can’t help but saying that parts of the Koran would make John Calvin proud had they been in the New Testament.  For my part I will only say that I regard election and free-will as a paradox.

“There shall be no compulsion in religion”

There shall be no compulsion in religion, but the Prophet does say to kill those who do not convert. This could be mistaken for compulsion. I will try and not be too harsh on Islam in this case since historically Christianity doesn’t exactly have a very good reputation. Personally, I do not regard carrying a sword in the name of Christ to be very biblical.

“ Fight for the sake of Allah those that fight against you, but do not attack them first. Allah does not love the aggressors.”

I include this quote in an attempt to be balanced when it comes to how the Koran talks about war. It seems that the Muslim is not supposed to go to war unless provoked.

“Allah loves those that trust him.”

 “Allah does not love the unbelievers.”
(This appears twice in the Koran)

 “Allah is the enemy of the unbelievers.”

“He bears no love for the impious and the sinful.”

Love does not seem to be one of Allah’s principle traits. He is mercifully and compassionate among other things. The Gospel argues that love is one of God’s attributes. Romans 5:8 says: “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” It also says that while we were still enemies of God he sent Christ to the world. The Bible doesn’t in any way make light of sin or its consequences but God’s attitude toward men seems to be quite different in the Koran. Love is one of God’s principle motivators when it comes to his actions.

“But do not be a prodigal, Allah does not love the prodigal.”

A prodigal is someone who is careless with his or her money. The quote popped out to me thinking of the parable of the prodigal son. I wondered how the Prophet might have written that story.


Christianity

“The only true faith in Allah’s sight is Islam”

It is very unclear to me where Christians and Jews stand in terms of Islam. The Christians are accused of turning Jesus into a god and the Jews are accused of misinterpreting the Torah and keeping it for themselves.  Are Jews and Christians saved? There seem to be several contradictory lines of reasoning in the Koran. Before we get into that, lets first establish what the Koran says about Jesus.

“We gave Jesus the son of Mary veritable signs and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit.”

“Jesus was no more than a mortal who We favored and made an example to the Israelites.”

“We sent forth Jesus, the son of Mary, confirming the Torah already revealed, and gave him the Gospel, in which there is guidance and light…”

There is a positive view of Jesus as a prophet in the Koran. My first question is how he confirmed the Torah and what was Gospel (good news) he gave? Why did Allah allow the Christians to distort his teaching?

“If they observe the Torah and the Gospel… they shall be given abundance from above and from beneath.”

“Believers, Jews, Sabaeans, or Christians- whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day and does what is right- shall have nothing to fear or regret-”

It seems at times that the Jews and Christians are ok even if they are mislead. As long as they have faith and do good works they should be alright. However this view is not consistent.

“Yet men have divided themselves into different sects, each rejoicing in its own doctrines. Leave them in their error till death overtakes them.”

“Have nothing to do with those who have split up their religion into sects.”

These two quotes are leveled at the Christians. I have to say that it is spot on Christianity. There are quite a few sects of Christianity that is very true. The New Testament doesn’t in anyway condone division of the church but it doesn’t say it won’t happen. My counter argument is: is Islam has been much better? The Sunni/Shiite split being an obvious example. If the true faith is characterized by not being divided then can Islam be it?

“Avoid those who treat their faith as a pastime and are seduced by the life of this world.”

I feel that this is the best critique of empty religion found in the Koran. It applies to the Christians, the Jews and the idolaters alike in the context. It is one point on which I totally agree with the Prophet.
Now for the direct assault of Christianity.

“Allah forbid that He Himself should beget a son!”

“Unbelievers are those that say: ‘Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary.”

“Unbelievers are those that say: ‘Allah is one of three.’’

First of all it is clear that the Koran rejects that Jesus is God or the Son of God. It also rejects the trinity. While,’ Allah is one of three’ is not exactly what Christianity teaches it is easy to see how one could draw such a conclusion. The Koran does talk about the Holy Spirit but my research says that they believe it refers to the Angel Gabriel and not some how God’s Spirit.
However, the main point I wish to make based on these quotes is that it clearly puts Christians down as unbelievers. The Koran is nothing if not clear in saying that unbelievers go to hell. So I am still confused on the fate of the Christians in terms of the Koran.

How to treat others

“Believers, do not choose the infidels rather than the faithful for your friends.”

“Therefore give no help to the unbelievers.”

“Believers, do not make friends with any men other than your own people.”

“Those who follow Him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another.”

If these verses are to be taken literally I am not sure if there are any grounds to suppose that you can have friendly relations with a Muslim if you are not of the same faith. I know that there are plenty of friendly and hospitable Muslims in the world so I am not sure what to make of these quotes.

Peace (Conclusion)

“It is unlawful for a believer to kill another believer except by accident.”

The Koran criticizes Christianity for its sectarianism here I simply wish to turn that argument around again. It seems to me that Muslims kill Muslims with a fair amount of regularity. Do the doctrinal differences make the sects of Islam consider each other unbelievers, thus allowing them to kill each other? But my guess is that most Muslims would say that those who commit violence against their own people are not true Muslims. Still the harshest criticism I can make of Islam is a quote from the Koran its self:

“Believers why do you profess what you never do?”

Of course couldn’t that be the harshest criticism of Christianity as well?

1 comment:

  1. I should add that the quotations are from
    N.J. Dawood, The Koran, Penguin Classics 1966, Harmondsworth. England.

    ReplyDelete